Six young people in the throes of puberty, overseen by grown-ups who barely managed to escape childhood themselves, learn that winning isn’t everything and that losing doesn’t necessarily make you a loser.
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a hilarious tale of overachievers’ angst chronicling the experience of six adolescent outsiders vying for the spelling championship of a lifetime.
The show’s Tony Award winning creative team has created the unlikeliest of hit musicals about the unlikeliest of heroes: a quirky yet charming cast of outsiders for whom a spelling bee is the one place where they can stand out and fit in at the same time.
- Playwright or Author: Book by Rachel Sheinkin, Conceived by Rebecca Feldman
- Directed By: Paul Hope
- Set Designer: Matthew Schlief
- Lighting Designer: Matthew Schlief
- Musical Director: Music and Lyrics by William Finn
- Opening Date: Friday, April 1, 2011
- Closing Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011
- Performance Location: Hamman Hall