“Depression is just status quo” for the residents of Skid Row, until flower shop clerk Seymour Krelborn discovers a strange and unusual plant of unknown origin.
Written by the award-winning team of Howard Ashman and Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast), this rock musical is a classic deal-with-the-devil tale with a horrifically horticultural twist. George Brock is the guest director of Little Shop of Horrors. Currently the director and coordinator of the Tommy-Tune Award winning Theatre Program at Episcopal High School, Brock is also the founding artistic director of Generations: A Theatre Company. Generation’s most recent production, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, won 10 BroadwayWorld.com Houston Awards, including best director for Brock.
Brock is reunited in Little Shop with his Generations counterpart, music director Jack Beetle. Beetle, who received a master of music degree from Moores Opera School at the University of Houston, has worked on many productions around Houston as a music director, including work with Generations and Stages Repertory Theatre. An active voice teacher, Beetle maintains a studio in Houston.
The Little Shop of Horrors is a collaboration between the Rice Theatre Program and the Rice Players. Mark Krouskop, lecturer and production manager of the Rice Theatre Program, who recently designed the magical set for Rice’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, will be designing the set along with Rice Theatre student Jake LaViola.
- Playwright or Author: Book by Howard Ashman, Music by Alan Menken
- Directed By: George Brock
- Costume Designer: Sarah Normolyle and Daniel Burns
- Set Designer: Mark Krouskop and Jake LaViola
- Lighting Designer: Brett Berger
- Sound Designer: Andrew Harper
- Musical Director: Jack Beetle
- Opening Date: Friday, April 11, 2014
- Closing Date: Saturday, April 19, 2014
- Performance Location: Hamman Hall